Reply to post: Re: "...fewer than 5 percent of our mDAU [monetizable daily active users]"

Elon Musk puts Twitter deal on hold over bot numbers claim

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: "...fewer than 5 percent of our mDAU [monetizable daily active users]"

"I would suggest that most bots do not post daily - they do a flurry of activity around a certain activity and then go silent until the next campaign. As such, they would not be included in the mDAU figures."

That might not be the case. Many people will get active for a bit around a cause they are passionate about and then go silent when they've spent too much time tweeting and not enough meeting a deadline on a project at work. Whoops. They wind up going silent for a bit to catch up with work/life.

If I was running a botnet, I'd always have stuff in the funnel. Even if it were my own scam rather than one somebody is paying me to do. I see the most stupid memes going around from time to time that get pushed in all sorts of places. One right now is that your liver might be damaged for one reason or another if you have some vague symptom that might just be heartburn from a really hot curry or from eating a big plate of asparagus. Lots of setups with quotes from some "leading doctors" and links to articles on a web sites that were set up a couple of weeks ago. You can then sell your bot services to a company selling supplements or "treatments" to put your liver right again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon