Reply to post: Re: @cantankerous swineherd

Europe's GDPR coincides with dramatic drop in Android apps

codejunky Silver badge

Re: @cantankerous swineherd

@Loyal Commenter

"You talk a lot about things being illegal, but argue against regulations, such as GDPR, which are used to bring laws into being*."

Kill, cheat and steal are illegal. You spent an amount of your comment talking about malware stealing. GDPR isnt about stealing its about the collection of data and how to store it as legal hoops with fluffy ideas of what is personal data (the context issue).

"You do understand that the GDPR regulation is what makes that slurping up of people's data illegal, so that there is a deterrent to doing so?"

This relates to GDPR more than your previous comment but if people cared it would be a deterrent. Because people didnt care (see facebook and twitter etc) so now it must be regulated. Except it adds hoops for the kid coding in their bedroom but the corporations have rooms of legal people to meet and fight the GDPR regs. Look at the comment from Justthefacts over who is actually hit by this-

https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2022/05/09/gdpr_europe_apps/#c_4457656

A big company goes to court and loses, so appeals and wins, so another appeal and loses, another appeal and wins. Who can afford to do this? Not the victims of heavy regulation.

"Either you accept that GDPR is there to prevent people from doing something that is undesirable (or punish them when they do it anyway), or you are arguing that those things should be legal"

No. Hell no. False choice which is highly incorrect. I can accept the intent is to prevent/punish people doing something undesirable. I dont have to agree things should be legal just because regulation inflicts harm or causes the bad behaviour (as some regulation actually does). If you have the angelic vision of regulation as never wrong then you need to go to N.Korea and get your hair cut. For the good of the people.

"Of course, I get the real sense that the only reason you are arguing the toss here is that GDPR is an EU regulation"

Its also UK regulation now (we aint in the EU but still apply it). So no not because its EU regulation but because it again raises the bar for entry. Do you recall recently the push for more kids to get into coding. How many of them have a "dedicated data protection professional"? How many of them shall we fine for not interpreting the context of what is or not personal data the same way as a regulator who cannot define it?

"you are ideologically opposed to the idea of trans-continental cooperation"

Eh? How the hell do you come to that conclusion? You are entirely wrong to the extreme.

"I'm not going to bother arguing someone down from their religious beliefs, because life is just too short to bother with sophistry."

I can understand why you dont want to continue. You made up a fictional dream of my beliefs and dont want to argue with the character in your head. But your previous comment wasnt even about the same topic but malware and already criminal behaviour. Probably is a good idea for you to take a break, reread the comments and see if you can drop the fictional character in your head. He doesnt sound anything like me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon