Reply to post: Re: ""Don't you know who I am?"

We can bend the laws of physics for your super-yacht, but we can't break them

Caver_Dave Silver badge
Happy

Re: ""Don't you know who I am?"

Twice I have received the "Do you know who I am?"

Firstly from someone who tells people they are fired on UK TV. It was in the 90's and they were only vaguely famous. I told him "to invent something better if the current best on the market was not good enough." I got a smile from him and he walked off.

Secondly from someone who had just spent 10 minutes looking over my shoulder demanding "is it fixed yet", which gave me plenty of time to think of the best answer when he asked the inevitable. This was about 1990 and my system characterised race engines and exhaust systems. He wanted something that would automatically match the right engine to the right exhaust - something that his very experienced engineers "struggled to do" in his words. So my answer was, "The system does what you specified [characterised the engines and exhausts], no it cannot think like the Terminator [AI] and did you know that the Earth actually rotates? [pure petulance]" He just stormed out of the room and the Engineering Manager who had witnesed it all took me to the Pub for lunch to thank me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon