Reply to post: That's twice.

IBM's autonomous Mayflower ship breaks down in second transatlantic attempt

jake Silver badge

That's twice.

Do you suppose somebody should tell them that Harbor Freight's chineseium gensets aren't built for continuous duty, especially in a marine environment? Talk to the folks who ship things that need refrigeration via container ship. The gensets that power the refer units are built to go months without human supervision. I'd recommend starting with SeaBox or the like ... Most such companies do custom kit, and I'm sure they'd welcome the advertising. Might even do a free installation (with redundancy) in return for prominent largish sticker placement.

Besides, this really isn't something new. Autopilot for civilian boats has been around for over half a century. For example, the unit I pulled out of my Monterey Clipper was a 1970's system based on LORAN C and made by Raytheon. It has since been replaced by something that'll get me a trifle further off the coast ... but I only use it to take me from harbo(u)r to harbo(u)r in SF bay and up and down the California coast. Overkill? Absolutely ... but it was cheap. My buddy can (and has!) get into his boat and program a route to Hawai'i. It'll happily take him there (and back) without any supervision, including avoiding storms and other shipping, while the occupants of the boat party

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon