Reply to post: Re: I would get it fired for inventing Powershell

Jeffrey Snover claims Microsoft demoted him for inventing PowerShell

eldakka
Flame

Re: I would get it fired for inventing Powershell

> Isn't the whole point of Windows to have a window?

Something that always triggers me on any stripe of GUI (windows, X, whatever) are 'windows' that:

1) Can't be resized;

2) can't be moved;

3) prevent you from bringing to the foreground a window that is 'under' it that it 'spawned' from (modal? windows).

Each of those items seems to defy the whole point of using a 'windowing' GUI. The amount of times I've opened a 'config' window and think, "oh, what I need to configure depends on information that is on the window under it, but I can't see that information because I can't move/background this fsck'ing window that I need to put data into that is on the now-hidden window under it that I can no longer access".

I don't care if the developer thinks there's no point in being able to resize a window. It's a window, I should be able to resize it, maybe there's some use case they hadn't thought of, or the message it's to display is stupidly long and can't fit in the fixed-size window, whereas stretching it a bit might make the message intelligible? Barring any specific security considerations (maybe it's meant to hide some other information until some security check is passed), if it's a window, I should be able to move it, resize it, bring to the front another related window, grrr.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon