Reply to post: Re: Messaging > Email

Email out, Slack and Teams in for business communications

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Messaging > Email

It's called read receipts and there's a reason I turn it off. If this is critical to you and you have the authority, you can make people enable it for anything. If you don't and some people are like me, then they won't turn it on because it is unreliable and annoying.

I scan over your mail and see that it exists, mentally adding it to my list of things to deal with. Since you only see that I have seen your message but you don't see that I have twenty other ones on that list, you might expect a quick response that you're not going to get. Alternatively, I scroll over it quickly enough that I've still registered its existence but I haven't triggered the threshold that informs you, so you think I have ignored it. Either of these can lead to people (probably not you, but they do exist) being angry that I'm ignoring them and complaining about how I choose to do my work. Those who complain, in my experience, never care what else I might be doing or why I do it that way. They complain less when I don't give them extra unreliable data and their first communication from me is either a reply to their request or an automatic response that I've deliberately created for requests such as theirs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon