Reply to post: Re: Xojo

RAD Basic – the Visual Basic 7 that never was – releases third alpha

Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: Xojo

I really enjoyed my time doing VB6. I thought it was a lovely language for the mundane, and for causal programmers. It was easy to use and simple enough, even if the ultra-hardcore didn't like it, the elitists sneered at its "BASIC" naming and heritage.

REALbasic was what I moved to when VB6 was no more and because of its cross-platform capabilities. It was okay but expensive to licence and the developers seemed more focused on new features and releases than bug fixing. I can't speak for the Xojo incarnation having never used it but it's where I'd probably head if I wanted to relive the VB6 experience. I believe there's a free version for Raspberry Pi.

RAD Basic has probably missed its window of opportunity - its failed Kickstarter demonstrates that, and is doomed to go nowhere if not free to use, if it ever gets out of Alpha.

All the cool kids have moved on to Python and Qt, or are resigned to whatever-dot-Net.

I still have VB6 installed on my Windows 10 PC because I can't be bothered to port code which has worked for years to something else.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon