Reply to post: Nice Ladies

Thinnet cables are no match for director's morning workout

The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
Childcatcher

Nice Ladies

Apart from the ones with dubious confectionary.....

I had a office move from one building to another at the pharma facility I was based at for one lady, I'm not in the frame of mind to do office moves first thing in the morning so I did it in the twilight hours between 5 - 6pm, tested all was well & there could be no possible complaint - Right!

Wrong - I stroll into work next morning, I'm not even at my desk logging on, colleague calls "Go sort your (A few expletives followed which embarrassed even my ears) female user out in 225, shes been onto the helpless desk & onto me every minutes since7.30am.

Naturally I was in a hungover state of some confusion at this, so duelly made my way there to discover she had dragged every heavy desk & overhead cabinet (Nooks they are called in Canadaland) to a new (Fen shui) arrangement, without the help of the relatively agile facilities guys.

Her obvious screams & howls of its about time & it's not working, were quickly nipped in the bud with it was working last night when I left, before your impromptu re-organize & plugging into a obviously dead network port, a 10 second walk to the patching closet was enough to get her operational in seconds.

Almost as bad as asked to enable some network ports & helpfully providing the port number & closing the ticket at 17.50, to find it angrily reopened on arrival the next day as the "Work wasn't completed, nor were they consulted" as well as a update they wanted completely different ports in a different room on a different floor enabled for their meeting that was 45 minutes prior to my normal start time, it wasn't my normal supported building so the angry screams in the call notes resulted in priorities downgraded to lower than whale shit, with notes to the effect of the work was completed as originally requested, not to some whim at 7.30am.

Or the manager:

Who deemed due to the number of wall mounted network ports he could cram more users in as we had plenty of capacity to spare & why would he need to pay for a new switch out of his budget (Until I showed him the state of the patching closet - He then rethought his plans).

E-mailed me about upcoming moves, but didn't actually put the project paperwork in or log a ticket & only woke up enough to ask "Just heard you are holiday next week, whose doing the moves". To which he was advised that the courtesy was nice, but he still needed to book this in as a project (As I advised him at the time). We needed 5 days notice to accommodate moves & CC'd in my boss who always backed us up with managers who should have known better, especially after she recalled (She being the one that told\asked me afterwards - "Is this guy a bit of a prat!") after being at the 3 hour meeting.........

Where he sat through a lengthy planning of inter department moves across three buildings & when all was signed & agreed, piped up with "What about my department!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon