Reply to post: Re: Yikes.....I haven't heard ANY useful answers to this question...please help!

Fedora starts to simplify Linux graphics handling

Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Yikes.....I haven't heard ANY useful answers to this question...please help!

[Author here]

Just out of interest...

I presume that both "VNX" and "VNS" really mean VNC, is that right?

What is "!M" though? I cannot work that one out.

Back in the early 2000s, most of the professional Linux users I know migrated over to Mac OS X. OS X allowed them to do all the familiar stuff, including lots of ssh windows and so on, with a familiar shell and environment, but a lot less hassle.

I think for those still hanging on to Linux now, ~20 years later, who do not like the modern trends such as systemd, Wayland, GNOME shell and so on, and prefer an environment more like traditional UNIX, this is a good time to check out the BSD family.

I wrote about OpenBSD recently and I was genuinely surprised that it is much easier to install a working OpenBSD desktop with Xfce than it is to accomplish that on FreeBSD. And yes, that includes things like GhostBSD or MidnightBSD. PC-BSD turned into TrueOS and then died, sadly.

I hope to at some point soon investigate NetBSD as well, and perhaps write about it, too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon