Reply to post: Re: A well worn story.

Mozilla browser Firefox hits the big 100

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: A well worn story.

Fair warning: Opinions inside.

By and large I don't object to adding *options* for "Just Like Chrome!"isms. What I and many others object to is that any hint of an option to either do things one historic default way or use an addon to modify it however you please has been eroded away to the point where you really do look and say "Why should I bother with this, it's "Just Like Chrome", and *I DON'T LIKE THAT UI LAYOUT*.

The One True Window Layout For Web Browsers(TM) is title bar, menu bar, navigation buttons[1] and address bar[2], tab bar, page content, status bar.

Other opinions may differ... but the FF devs have gone out of their way to remove even the option to make this happen without endless tinkering with the (deprecated!!!) userChrome.css.

[1] One pair of ongoing nuisances I have with nav buttons is that a) "reload" and "stop" have been incorrectly merged, and b) "Stop" is just "pause for half a second until the next Javscript timer triggers". If I click the "Stop" button while viewing a page, *the page MUST NOT load any new content of any kind without an explicit action* - and scrolling the page is not an "action".

[2] Major headache time. The address bar has two purposes: to display the current page URL, and to enter a specific URL to visit. I get very frustrated with the whole "search engines" thing - I want to NOT have a separate "search" toolbar, AND, I want to NOT do Internet searches based on what I enter in the address bar. If I want to do a search, I visit a search website. To my great frustration this entire concept continues to try to integrate more and more functionality that I absolutely want to NOT do from that location. I may well make use of some components of it, but the address bar is the wrong place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon