Reply to post: Re: For those wondering "Why?"

US Space Force unit to monitor region beyond Earth's geosynchronous orbit

codejunky Silver badge

Re: For those wondering "Why?"

@DS999

"Given how haphazard Trump did everything it is easy for me to believe, but it is equally easy to believe that really messy withdrawal left lots of fingers wanting to point elsewhere to share the burden of blame whether justified or not."

While the first option is possible I expect its more of the latter. Biden didnt need to run for president promising to withdraw and after winning he could have postponed further or changed his mind. Trump would have been to blame or take the credit if he had done it but it wasnt his decision anymore.

"But it definitely is a bad thing to leave your allies to die when you pull out of Syria."

But the US wasnt in Syria (officially). Obama did a half in half out and the Russians took over the job. He could have got the US involved fully but that would likely start a war with Russia and Trump was an anti war president.

"Even many of Trump's congressional allies and even a Fox news host was speaking out against his precipitous withdrawal and said it would leave ISIS in a stronger position than when we entered Syria."

The good news is Trump committed to smashing ISIS before the withdrawal and did so. It still kinda exists as an irritant but not as the threat it once was.

"Every time the US leaves allies behind to die, the less trust there will be in US aid in the future if that aid or boots on the ground may be quickly pulled up because the winds of public opinion have shifted or to make a political point."

Very true. Intervention comes with a cost which includes responsibility. I do think the US was overstretched. Supporting foreign wars and the ill defined wars leading to occupations could only go so far but required some competence in withdrawing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon