Reply to post:

Logging and monitoring can be a form of bullying, and make for lousy infosec

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"We need to treat our colleagues as colleagues, not subjects or prisoners," says Lily Ryan. "Human dignity needs to factor more into our decisions."

No. Just no. Most of the userbase here are mouth-breathers who, in days of old, used their CDROM trays to hold their coffee cups. Maybe Ms Ryan works around high-minded, intelligent users, but the users here need a lot more guidance and protection than that.

As to "excessive monitoring", the neat trick is that you don't HAVE to monitor excessively, but you do have to occasionally fuel the mythos that you ARE monitoring excessively. Don't squash those rumors of "I know you can see everything I do", just kind of grunt and nod your head slightly but non-commitally.

As to "bullying" - please. We've got Russians killing innocent people in real life, and these folks are trying to equate keeping our systems (and, by extension, our users) safe with "bullying". Give me a break. What a load of tosh. We're all in IT, most of us were ACTUALLY bullied as kids because we were nerds and bookworms.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon