Reply to post:

Microsoft partners balk at new licensing scheme, dent growth

anthonyhegedus Silver badge

I don't care whether it's monthly payments or fixed-cost. Monthly payments means that you're paying for something. It's good for us because it makes us money selling to clients.

HOWEVER: ""a simplified approach and greater flexibility in how you purchase software licenses in a way that's easy to understand, that directly improves licensing asset management, and with predictable costs."" and "super good..." is actually a total and utter lie.

OK, prices go up - fine, I suppose they have to at some point. But now we find that if take over service from another support/MSP, we cannot just take over the MS licences. We have to wait till the annual contracts expire, which could be all at different times. This means that the losing company has to keep charging, but they can't provide support - because they're the losing provider. So we have to provide support, but we can't charge till the contract's up. It's an unholy mess.

They keep moving the goalposts. I honestly do not understand when this is all happening, what happens to existing contracts and what the pricing actually is. Never mind that we've got some 400-odd endpoints out there, each one with some monthly licence attached.

Our suppliers don't understand it either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon