Reply to post: Still waste heat

Swedish firms ink deal to make green hydrogen with wind power

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Still waste heat

Every energy conversion wastes heat: electric generation, electric or fuel transport (even power lines), and every kind of usage. Every electric vehicle has cooling systems. Every wind/solar/nuclear-fed data center needs aircon. Every H2 or CH4 engine wastes lots of heat of combustion. We dump this heat mostly into the air, with some to lakes/rivers/ocean, all day long.

Even if all fuel oils (including diesel, kerosene, mogas/octane, avgas, Jet-A, and JP military grades), coal, and even straight wood (forest scale, at least -- hands off my campfire!) are eliminated, I still think the waste heat of all civilization may be something that still affects climate. Has anyone done a serious study on this?

I imagine the only solution to save air and water temperatures are to force the heat into the ground (geothermal), but with enough build-up the effects will eventually occur -- groundwater and surface air temps will be affected -- meaning it's only a delay, nothing more.

One could argue the sunlight we harvest would have the same heating effect. Fine, but we've seen how hydro usage affects river ecosystems. So what's the downside for harvesting wind and making heat from that energy? Shirley taking energy out of the weather affects it, right?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon