Reply to post: Average broadband speed stated in the country

US, UK, Western Europe fail to hit top 50 cheapest broadband list

BOFH in Training

Average broadband speed stated in the country

I had a look at the map, and I found it hard to figure out which countries are really doing well in terms of pricing since I could not see anything about speeds offered.

I know some places consider 15mbps down 1mbps up as broadband.

And some places consider speeds of at least 100mbps up and down as broadband.

So is a place with 15mbps speeds going for 15 bucks a month really better then a place which has 100mbps going for 25 bucks a month? What if one of those places have a limit on how much data you can transfer per month?

Am familiar with Singapore's broadband market. The map states that the average price is USD32.70. Everyone here is on fibre connections, fully symmetrical. Don't think DSL even exists here anymore, and the cable tv provider converted to all fibre a few years back.

I think the slowest broadband you can get in Singapore is at about USD 21 for 400mbps up and down. The mostcommonly used is 1gbps up/down for about USD30 - USD75 (depending on telco and other things in the package - including TV). I think there is even up to 10gbps available for a couple of 100s USD. I myself am on a 1gbps connection which costs me about USD30 a month. And according to my router my home has done about 800GB of transfer in the pass month (multiple netflix streams, including at least one at 4k, youtube, gaming, work, local NAS being used remotely etc all adds up over time).

And I know of months when we have transfered over 5TB.

Oh, all our packages have no limit on data transfer.

I wish the price comparison map stated at the least lowest / highest price and include lowest and higher speeds as well, so you get a better comparison.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon