Reply to post:

The time you solved that months-long problem in 3 seconds

Martin-73 Silver badge

Similar concept but utterly reversed. I was flying back from Canada to the UK in Dec 2004 (i found out about the tsunami on my arrival back in blighty) . I'd been resident in the US, legally, for 5 yrs and was returning home for personal reasons, and decided to visit friends in canada en route. Canadian immigration could have been rude about the kind of things i was bringing into the country for a 'visit', but they were...Canadian; and thus accepted me.

But given all this preamble, it's evident i have more with me than your average tourist. Lady at the Air Canada checkin desk at Toronto Pearson airport was insistant that my small toolbox was carryon size and thus would save me a LOT in excess baggage fees (which i'd already accounted for), as it was very heavy. So I opened it. the top tray on the box contained 3 different types of utility knife, and a 3/4 inch chisel. She grinned and said 'maybe not then sir'

One day, i need to return to Canada, wonderful place.

Related polite anecdote, I'd arrived 3h early for the flight and already checked in, and done the security thing but at the time i smoked, and Canada, being more progressive than most, had already banned all smoking inside the airport. So I left my carryon with the checkin desk, and went outside for a cigarette. Came back in, fully expecting to be scanned again. Nope, the security guard said 'I watched you thru the window, i'm pretty sure you've not picked anything up, will you be out for another? my shift changes in 1 hr'...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon