Reply to post:

Instant NeRF turns 2D photos into 3D scenes in seconds

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

The comparison gives dates for the applications. They all seem to be from the era when W7 was the Windows OS.

After several days of dead ends - the "123D Catch" seemed a likely one. However - the makers had stopped supporting it and had integrated its features into their latest W10-only application. Managed to find an old download on CN which appeared to install ok on W7. However it doesn't run - nothing happens. Possibly its first action would be to call home for its mandatory sign-up.

I installed "Blender" on Linux - but like some other candidates it needed the photo in SVG format. Two JPG-SVGconverters produced just black & white abstracts that looked nothing like the picture. A third was a little more recognisable in shades of brown - but far too blocky to be of any use.

Finally resorted to "PureRef" - which allows you to overlay your picture transparently on any 3D modelling window. So - using my old clay modelling skills with the picture as a rough template - then using my eye. Bought a Wacom tablet for hopefully finer movement control. I appear to have given away my previous ones. As it is a one-off project - then I might as well have used oven-baking clay and my collection of physical sculpture tools.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022