Reply to post: Re: Dells

Dell creates portable workstation that meets Evo consumer laptop spec

Snake Silver badge

Re: Dells

There's more than that. Dell Latitudes, their business laptops, can be quite good. I had an E6420 for about 7 years of steady use with no problems and, after refreshing the unit with cheap and easily available parts off eBay such as a new keyboard, I sent it off to a new home with a friend in need (but he's an Apple-head and although I gifted him a computer it seems he didn't bother to use it :rolleyes: No computer, still Apple picky!)

Dell Precisions workstations are fantastic: I outfitted a clumsy, not very technical friend with a Dell Precision M4600 what, at least a good 8 years ago? Since then I've replaced his keyboard at least 3 times; recently the entire palmrest & display bezel to refresh the unit to give him a nicer look, whilst at the same time replaced the metal lid latches because he broke them; repasted the CPU; upgraded the RAM; switched to an SSD about 5 years ago; replaced the power adapter at least twice...

and yet, with dented & bent chassis corners from how many times he's dropped the thing, a loose power plug from how many times he's yanked out the cord whilst working on his lap, no rubber feet from them being ripped off due to his handling, it continues to go on and on and on and on. He's using it to this very moment.

(Talking him into an upgrade, coming soon!)

Dell Inspirons, on the other hand...can be utter shiate.

Depends what you buy, you get what you paid (or, didn't pay) for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon