Reply to post: Re: What's the fallback mechanism?

FIDO Alliance says it has finally killed the password

ThatOne Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: What's the fallback mechanism?

> I'm not saying the scheme is perfect

It's FIDO who says it, or at least suggests it.

Don't forget the current "various passwords" system has potential to be secure, as much as the suggested "password = phone" system has potential to be insecure. Now if you think about it, there is no logical reason to change an imperfect scheme for another imperfect one -- except for the opportunity to make money in the process, isn't it.

Yes, most people use bad passwords, but you can't fix stupid and if you take a minute you'll realize they will find just as easily ways to screw up a "password = phone" scheme. The devil is in the details, in this case in the implementation: You can be sure corners will be cut, adware will be liberally added, and the whole phone swapping process will be made as insecure as it gets to keep customer service costs down.

Net gain? Zero, just a general leveling down to the least secure common denominator. If I want to use different emails/passwords for every account, or use huge passwords for important ones, I can't, I'll have to trust some fly-by-night OEM implementation to keep my stuff safe(-ish).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon