Reply to post: HP Are no better

Epson payments snafu leaves subscribers unable to print

The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

HP Are no better

The HP Instant Ink service is also a clusterfuck, not because of the same payment issues but because they will lock out printers from even being used.

A couple of years ago, I replaced my knackered Epson printer with a HP and it came with 3 months free instant ink service... So I used it, but never agreed to a continued subscription service.

HP locked the printer, and as I was given another by work... I packed it away and forgot about it.

Then a couple of months ago, my mums printer broke... she's also on the HP instant ink service (1.99 a month) as it works out cheaper over the year for her needs.

I gave her my printer and tried to connect it to her account... first it refused to do anything, even with stock cartridges installed (although printing blank sheets as I suspect old carts had dried up after 12 months in storage)... did a factory reset which at least unlocked it. Then it refused to allow it to be connected to her Instant Ink service as a replacement for the old printer, first saying it was connected to another account (it wasn't) and then asking if you wanted it removed from other account (Yes)... and then still refusing to allow it to be connected.

I wasn't about to go and spend £40-50 on new ink... just to test if the printer would actually work...

The solution... cancel the HP subscription and buy another Epson printer for the same cost as new Ink for the HP... but it comes with enough ink to print the contracts and docs we needed to for selling a house.

I was going to sign her up for the epson ready print... but I use Natwest... My mum on the other hand is with Lloyd's, so I'll do it via her bank instead.

But fuck HP... every single time I've had to suffer with a HP printer it's been a shit show... crappy quality prints and they break if you sneeze to hard next to one. At leastall of the Epson printers I've owned over the last 20yrs have been reliable and only broken due to my own negligence or because of a time when I had about 10 power cuts/surges in a couple of hrs that fried a few electronics... inc an Epson RX700 printer, a Sony 5.1 Home Cinema amp and a bedside alarm clock.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon