Reply to post:

Arm to drop up to 15 percent of staff – about 1,000 people

Tom 7

I've also been made redundant twice - first time when I was going to resign (Result!), second not so much fun. Both times where when the market for jobs was shit. Fortunately neither time was I forced into finding another job quickly, which, even with useful skills can be a bloody painful and stressful time. The first time I got made redundant the only options were to work abroad to use my skills, something I really didnt fancy as pretty much any post would have been a step down! The second time I'd branched into IT but it would still have involved moving around the UK at the least, and the expense of moving house would have been horrendous. I have been incredibly lucky in that twice I've moved and had difficulty selling the old house but managed to rent it to friends (at a considerable discount from market rates) and as such have made more money from property than I've earned. I doubt anyone being made redundant now will have anything like the opportunities we had, and many will probably be legally blocked from using a lot of their accumulated knowledge!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon