Reply to post: Re: Millenials

IBM looked to reinvigorate its 'dated maternal workforce'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Millenials

It's hard for millennials to have bad luck at the place they work, when they can't get the work in the first place.

Gen-X has the benefit of the cheap housing they bought in the 90s, so they don't need higher salaries.

My brother is Gen-X, I am a millennial (yeah there's nearly a 15 year age gap, he was born 1971, I was born 1984), he bought his house in the early 90s and his monthly mortgage payments are peanuts and relatively speaking, they always have been. He's nearly finished his mortgage. His house cost him less than £15k.

I bought a house that is near as damn it the same footprint (just a smaller garden) and it cost me nearly £600k. My mortgage payments are nearly 10x higher than his.

A major problem that Millennials face is that they have costs that are much higher than their seniors and the pay being offered isn't enough which makes it impossible to take on a lot of jobs. It is not possible to own a house as a millennial and work for less than £50k but there are next to no roles out there for people at the career level of a millennial that pay £50k+. It's almost impossible to qualify for a mortgage if you earn less than £50k these days. Even then your options are limited because finding a house for the amount of money you are allowed to borrow is nigh on impossible. Now that tax has been hiked, that will likely need to be even higher.

This is why a lot of us are stuck, banished to the wilderness of contracting and detached from the traditional long term permies...we have no choice.

If you are an employer and make employment decisions raise your hand if you want to hire a Millennial with 15 years-ish experience for £60k+ a year in a non-senior role (apparently we're not ready yet...nearing our 40's...for senior roles).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon