Reply to post: Re: I saw the reveal presentation, and, while I'm no fanboy, I was amazed

114 billion transistors, one big meh. Apple's M1 Ultra wake-up call

Smirnov

Re: I saw the reveal presentation, and, while I'm no fanboy, I was amazed

"The Unified RAM, effectively part of the CPU, is far more efficient and why people are able to do professional level video editing with 'only' 8GB of RAM in the M1 Mac Mini with far lower CPU temperatures and power consumption. If you have an M1 laptop that's a big bonus compared to a high-end PC unhitched from the grid.."

Unified memory isn't more efficient (it's also not new, UMA has already been done by SGI 26 years ago!). Data doesn't magically become smaller just because the memory is now closer to the CPU.

"Apple have said a Mac Pro with M1 or M2 CPU's will be with us by the end of this year. I expect to see a cut down version of the current Intel Mac Pro, plus a slightly redesigned Super Mac Pro that will last the user 15 years."

There will never ever be a Mac Pro that lasts 15 years, especially not when considering that during the intel phase Microsoft has supported Macs for much longer than Apple themselves.

I still have one of the last classic cheese grater Mac Pros, which is now 10 years old. And while it's still OK for most less-demanding tasks, it's slow compared to everything else I have here. And the only reason I have been holding onto it is because Apple fucked up the successor (aptly nicknamed 'trashcan') and priced the current one into the extremes.

I'm not sure I even want to power it on when it reaches 15 years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon