Reply to post: I'd be more impressed.....

114 billion transistors, one big meh. Apple's M1 Ultra wake-up call

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I'd be more impressed.....

........if the BT broadband here was faster than 30Mbits/sec (Down) and 8Mbits/sec (Up)!!!

My four year old WiFi router (801.11ac) is runnig the LAN at around 800Mbits/sec......sometimes as low (!) as 400Mbits/sec.

UPSIDE

======

To get to the point.........this fantastic Apple Mac Studio would make for absolutely fantastic peer-to-peer applications across broadband......if the broadband speeds matched the processor!!!!

DOWNSIDES!

===========

(1) ......but I suppose there would a huge outcry from politicians about E2EE going peer-to peer.....no servers to leverage, and much harder for the Cheltenham snoops to listen in!

(2) "...114 billion transistors..." So what (exactly) are all those transistors and all that on-chip ROM and all that on-chip RAM and all that on-chip code.......what are they actually doing?....and who are they doing it for? How much history could be stored in there? I seem to recall that Snowden told us that CISCO were shipping functionality designed specifically for folk in Fort Meade, MD. And what sorts of things might Apple be hiding in 114 billion transistors?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon