Reply to post: Re: I'm thinking about a lot more than this

Only 29% of techies truly want to stay in current job

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm thinking about a lot more than this

Having just turned 62 last month I'm regularly evaluating whether I should continue in the industry, but I was very fortunate to start a new job during the pandemic which I am enjoying a lot - just the right size of company who allow me to be senior without insisting on me being a manager, and working remotely is just fantastic.

Every month or two I move to a new city and get to discover it by living there and working in it. As we come to the end of the pandemic the company are very carefully allowing staff to elect how they will work going forward (and allowing people to re-elect if they should change their minds). I know there are some who really miss being in the office for a variety of reasons, but in my case it's been an amazingly freeing experience to work remotely, and I still get more done each day than I ever did in the office, regularly achieving more than is expected of me.

I've never met any of the teams that I work with in person, and it would be lovely to do that from time to time, but my work-life balance seems so much more relaxed now that life is "what's around me and where I am" and work is "through the screen on my laptop".

As I write this on the slopes of a snowy hill the crows in the trees outside the farmstay are very loud - a very different ambience to last week's church bells, ambulance sirens and courtyard arguments in a large city, and I feel I'm managing to live more than I have in the previous few decades while still doing no less work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon