Reply to post: Re: Do they ever learn?

UK govt signs IT contracts 'without understanding' the needs

Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Do they ever learn?

“Blackadder, here’s a map of the known world (hands over blank parchment)… fill it in as you go along”

This extends all the way down to small software houses. Having just arrived in one I was given the job of looking after a system they'd put together for one client which they were now trying to sell to a few more. For two of the customers it was something new, for the third they'd been told it would drop in in place of what they already had. I already had problems such as trying to pick it apart and reassemble it in such a way that users in one part of the business didn't have access to every other users' part of the database. I quickly found out I had another: that it was in no way going to be a drop in replacement - the data model was too different.

So I asked management what the spec was for what I was to produce. I was told that whatever I produced would be the spec.

Fortunately, shortly after as I was leaving Embankment station I bumped into someone from my previous employer's customer and more or less offered a job there and then (the ensuing interview was one question "Are you still interested?").

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon