Reply to post: Share and Enjoy!

Proprietary neural tech you had surgically implanted? Parts shortage

dajames

Share and Enjoy!

Once, back in the day (or maybe the day before) one of the co-workers with whom I shared an open-plan office had stubbornly NOT disabled the Windows 3 startup sound on his PC, and so us all to the ghastly Microsoft jingle several times a day.

One day I got to his PC before he had arrived in the morning, and configured it to play a .wav file of the company anthem of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Complaints Department when Windows started. This was long enough ago that the sound came from the PC speaker, driven in software by a Windows component that cunningly hogged the entire CPU while it played the sound ... for about 45 seconds.

We expected him to be horrified, to see the error of his ways, and to disable the startup sound at once ... but he liked it! We were treated to 45 seconds of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop's finest output every morning, and again after every time Windows crashed (which was not infrequently).

Eventually we pleaded with him, explained the nature of our torment, bought him beer, and were rewarded with peace and quiet, I think it was the beer that did it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon