Reply to post: Point Of Disagreement:

Apple has missed the video revolution

DerekCurrie
Mushroom

Point Of Disagreement:

"The tools gamers use to share their mad skills never get refined on MacOS because there's so little demand."

- - In part only. The fact is that many or most of these tools are proprietary to Microsoft. Consider DirectX as a prime example. The loss of Intel x86 virtualization on M1 Macs is a problem in this respect.

I'm also not sure how useful it is to compare gaming to video broadcast. But certainly there is a lot of overlap.

In any case, Apple began neglecting video as of 2006 when it went to fully 64-bit hardware. I have no idea why. It showed in the decline of QuickTime. Apple has fumbled and bumbled around with 3D since that time, not taking up support for all the available standards. We used to have good tools for video streaming. But they were never professional quality and often qualified as clunky.

As usual, as a professional it is required to use the tools that best fit their intended use. Also, as usual, Windows has annoying deficits of its own, far more than enough to keep me thanking my Macs. But if the tool fits, use it! And tell Apple. Yell at Apple. Annoy Apple. I'm sick of the ever proliferating Apple blunders over the last nearly six years now, most specifically regarding the Mac platform. Making Apple hurt is typically the best way to make them pay attention. I do my best to participate in that endeavor and suggest all others annoyed by their failings do so as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon