Reply to post: Re: Adverts

A tale of two dishwashers: Buy one, buy it again, and again

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Adverts

I got stung a few months ago.

Being self-employed, I take card payments from my customers. Once upon a time I used iZettle (when it was independent). They screwed up one time and almost bankrupted me, so I switched to Paypal Here and have been happy ever since - with a few ripples visible on the horizon due to the fact they are now iZettle, or iZettle is Paypal Here, or some combination thereof.

So I had a quick Google to see if there were any better deals to be had. No real intention of jumping ship unless something grabbed me.

I found a comparison website, completed it with my details, and clicked 'submit', fully expecting to see a list of alternatives for me to browse. However, a split second later I realised what I'd done. The message said We have forwarded your details and someone will contact you... Shit!

Less than ten minutes later I got a phone call from a woman who represented a company. I told her I was expecting a written list and she said 'You're going to be inundated now'. However, she went through everything and concluded that I couldn't get a better deal than I had with Paypal due to my turnover being several hundreds of thousands below whatever was needed to get the transaction fee break, so it was best to stay with them. Questions answered, main problem solved. But another problem only just starting.

Fortunately, I have good anti-spam software, because I have received in excess of three hundred emails from a handful of companies since November.

And after at least a dozen phone calls in the first few days, my number blacklist also came in handy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon