Reply to post: Re: Protext

FreeDOS puts out first new version in six years

Plest Silver badge

Re: Protext

My mum, a shorthand typist for 25 years had just given up work but she needed a proper wordprocessor to do work from home and we found Protext.

So we took a trip to the offices where two guys who wrote Protext were working. It was a typical 1980s office, paper files and mess everywhere, bits of computers and code printouts, so damned cool! My parents chatted with them for a while and they burned the prog onto the EPROM while we waited, plugged into the rom board and boxed it up. My Mum used that app rom for about 3-4 years to do all sorts of work for a local solictor. My Dad even bought a proper daisywheel printer to ensure legal prints were proper quality as dot matrix was absolute shite quality.

I think it cost something like £70 at the time which must have been roughly £200 quid by today's money but my Mum made it pay for itself until we got our first PC and she moved to WordPerfect, for DOS of course, she absolutely hated the Windows version said it wasn't anywhere near as good as DOS version.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon