Reply to post: Re: "Remember to keep the Windows open"

Microsoft prepares for its staff to return to Washington sites

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: "Remember to keep the Windows open"

So why is it is more efficient?

Is it because you are now working the hours you would have spent commuting? Those are hours I’d spend listening to podcasts or music, instead of working extra hours for free.

Otherwise, if it is all the same in terms of the work setup itself (screen, monitor, laptop, desk, chair, internet, headset), why does the walls of your home bring in efficiency?

If you are being “distracted” by colleagues in your team, then they cannot be agreeing with your personal appraisal that your team contribution is the same or better when you are at home.

In my case some wfh are unproductive super busy. Lots of the same hours, if not more, but output reflective of being highly distracted by their home environments (children, pets, partners, deliveries, “short” errands), context switching frequently.They’re swapping work distractions for home distractions, except that work distractions help the company overall, who are the ones paying for the time.

I’m all for wfh if your *team* appraises your performance is the same or better, not a self certified “I’m better now”.

If you are in a team of 1, great. That is a minority and likely means you are at the experienced end of the workforce and at a skew of the average workforce mix of different experiences. And “common” rule should work for a team with a graduate and an someone ready to retire.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon