Reply to post: Why I'm spoiling the statistics

Fibre broadband uptake in UK lags behind OECD countries

Krassi

Why I'm spoiling the statistics

My street has recently been fitted out with fibre, and FTTP is an option since the last few months. Why I'm not in a hurry to change

1. FTTC works adequately (40 / 7 mbps - absolutely stable)

2. Multiple calls from the ISPs in the last few months to push FTTP, showing the worst sides of salesmanship. Full of crap about all sorts of vague benefits, very reluctant to mention a price even verbally, certainly nothing in hard copy. After a longish conversation with one, I gather that the headline price is pennies lower than the current FTTC only because of a 6 month discount in a 24 month contract. Then for 18 months they turn you over and b-r you.

3. You know it will be a bad experience switching over. It involves openreach after all. I don't want to be on mobile internet for days or weeks.

4. I've a land-line. Don't use it much, but still would like to keep the number & willing to pay a fair price for that. I believe there is a technical solution, but the ISPs aren't interested.

So I guess until the copper is ripped out, I'll stick on FTTC. By then 5G (or 6G ?) may be fast enough anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon