Reply to post: FTTC is plenty fast enough for many...

Fibre broadband uptake in UK lags behind OECD countries

frankyunderwood123

FTTC is plenty fast enough for many...

... at least for now, that is changing quite rapidly though.

It all depends on, I guess, your distance from the cabinet and the quality of the copper wiring infrastructure, plus, I would imagine, the volume of connections in an area!

Anecdotally, having had 200mbs FTTP in my previous house, it was overkill, even for my usage.

Sure, it was great having super speedy downloads, at the same time as streaming TV, but, hell, 100mbs wouldn't have made much difference.

I'm now on FTTC and average 50mbs, which is workable - only two people in our house, me and the wife.

It's only a problem when there's streaming TV and downloads happening - which tends to cause lags with Zoom.

They dug up the main road outside over a year ago to install fibre, but still not date as to when I can get FTTP - it was supposed to be October last year, but is now set for March this year, I don't hold out much hope.

But heck, for all of my neighbours, when I told them about FTTP coming to our road, they were pretty much "meh" - what's that?

They are all extremely light users ... for now.

Once pretty much all TV is internet based, they will soon notice that FTTC isn't quite fast enough.

In other words, the UK better get a wiggle on rolling FTTP out - specifically to areas that don't even have FTTC yet!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon