Reply to post: Similar problems in Northern Italy

Car radios crashed by station broadcasting images with no file extension

David Shaw

Similar problems in Northern Italy

Honda cars, 2019 models come with DAB+ radio.

Suddenly since mid 2021 the DAB+ receivers have been crashing, no output, unprintable characters as Station names etc.

I tried various levels of reset (you get a brief glimpse of an Android boot when you hold the Volume/Pwr button down for 30 seconds)

When I took to the Honda dealer, asking for a new car as the radio wasn't working (there's no ashtray, thankfully)

The dealer explained that ALL of their cars were crashing, but only in th north, Lombardy/Piedmonte/Veneto. They denied any update errors, said it's something environmental.

I think in this case it's perhaps due to incompatible? Swiss DAB+, which is guaranteed to undo within minutes, all of my resetting and stability nudges.

If I just scan Swiss and add Radio Svizzera Classica+ or perhaps the aptly named Radio SRF Virus+ then the whole RX shuts down.

So it's back to familiar italian scratchy FM, AFN_The_Eagle somewhat giving away the secret american nuclear airfields, or Radio Monte Carlo from Milan. In the old days, 80's, every village had their own Band II TX, now hundred FM channels playing the same track, blandness.

I do miss the Italian DAB mux, whch have both the hilarious BBC WS and some unidentifiable asian language channels...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon