Reply to post: Re: Would a debit card work this sort of verification?

UK.gov threatens to make adults give credit card details for access to Facebook or TikTok

DS999 Silver badge

Re: Would a debit card work this sort of verification?

The "handling fees" come out of the money you put into the card. There's a fee to put money in and often a monthly fee for keeping a balance.

Like I said it is dumb to use as a real account, but if you need to give some sort of card to something shady like if you wanted to buy something from a Chinese seller, it is a good since the amount of money that can be taken out is limited by how much you've put in.

The "virtual account numbers" may serve the same purpose of buying from a shady seller, though I'd pay a few bucks extra for having something that's completely divorced in all ways from my actual account. I know for instance that if you set up a recurring payment and you change your card number, sometimes those recurring payments are able to follow to the new card number. Supposedly that's a "convenience" feature, but if they can do that who says someone trying to get your money can't follow from a virtual account number to the real one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon