Reply to post: Re: Users .... both the bane & joy of your life ... at the same time !!!

No, I've not read the screen. Your software must be rubbish

gotes

Re: Users .... both the bane & joy of your life ... at the same time !!!

I would go one step further and suggest anyone working in tech support serves time in retail, hospitality or a non technical customer service role. Understand that despite the fact they can be very annoying and stupid, these people are your customers and they're just trying to do their job. Chances are their job is lower paid and more stressful than yours. [I am aware that some of the most annoying "customers" are senior management and directors]

It might be very annoying for a while, but once you figure out how to handle these people they'll be putty in your hands, as it were.

On my first day in my first full time tech support job (with no training, of course) I had a customer tell my boss I was "completely useless". To be fair, I was. I had no idea what I was doing. A couple of weeks later I was the only person she'd be willing to speak to for support.

I've seen too many "Roy from The IT Crowd" type characters in IT. Funny to watch, but no way to behave as a professional.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon