Reply to post:

Farm machinery giant John Deere plows into two right-to-repair lawsuits

doublelayer Silver badge

This argument is rubbish for a few reasons:

"if people who are signing up to these contracts, actually read them first..,. I mean, they are blindly signing up to paying a huge amount of money? Sod "right to repair" they have signed that right away."

Incorrect. For one thing, there isn't such a contract. The tractors don't come with the right to repair in the first place. There is no contract that, if it had remained unsigned, would allow the owner to retain the right.

"I use only Apple products in my business. Yes I know the downside. But I got a solicitor to read and explain the contracts to me. maybe the complainers should have done the same? How can you run a business, and sign a contract without taking advice?"

You're very intent on contracts here, even when the contract is not the problem. The problem is the technology and how it was designed to provide additional revenue streams. The situation which the farmers dislike is not due to legal or contractual restrictions.

Incidentally, contracts can't override laws. If the courts find that the restrictions are abuses of monopoly power, then, even if it was a contract that every user signed (it wasn't), the contract would be in violation of laws and would be nullified when the court renders its verdict. So even if your argument was factual, it would still be wrong.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon