Reply to post:

Sophos: Log4Shell would have been a catastrophe without the Y2K-esque mobilisation of engineers

Nate Amsden

I've been working with developers building and managing SaaS type applications(web based) since 2003. My personal preference is java from an operations standpoint. It's just so much simpler. The polar opposite of that approach is things like node.js, dependency nightmare hell. PHP has been good and easy to manage as well. Ruby much less so. But Java, especially when it comes to things like Tomcat, works real well. I used Weblogic as well in the early days that was more messy/buggy.

Certainly can't speak to how good each language is from a developer standpoint this is purely from an operations standpoint. And of course I really do hate it when developers are pulling in dependencies directly from the internet, such a bad practice. Mirror whatever dependencies you need on your internal network for better control/availability. It's been a standard practice for ops folks for 2+ decades but developers never seemed to care sadly, drives me mad. I remember spending a lot of time building tons custom RPM packages for ruby libraries back in 2007 for our servers, and fast forward 10+ years and the situation really hasn't changed, if anything it's gotten worse.

I haven't seriously used log4j from an admin standpoint (as far as configuring it etc) since ~2006, but I really did like it at the time, very useful tool, loved the flexibility it had/has. Many apps I've used since I'm sure leveraged log4j but I haven't touched the configs of it since 2006.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon