Reply to post: It's just another thing

IPv6 is built to be better, but that's not the route to success

Senor Beavis
Meh

It's just another thing

IPv6 for common-or-garden networking is ... well ... just another thing. Once you get used to it, the hex notation becomes memorable in its own way.

I agree with the article author in that there's little that jumps out as a compelling reason to make the move - but that's perhaps a good thing. For common use cases, there's nothing in IPv6 to scare the horses.

The biggest issues I've had with IPv6 so far have been crappy software apps that freak out when a DNS entry ONLY resolves to an IPv6 address (i.e. not expecting 0 IPv4 addresses). Everything else, from network firewalling to VPN to DNS to server setup has been frankly a non-event, which is just what I want.

I'm sure I'm not running anywhere near as complex a network as some of the other illustrious commenters on this page, so I'm not going to say the transition is without any effort. But even if you don't need to, I would encourage you to start running IPv6 on top of your existing IPv4 network, just to build familiarity. And more widespread adoption may encourage more application frameworks (*cough* Node.js *cough*) to fix their broken software.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon