Reply to post: How many?

Privacy is for paedophiles, UK government seems to be saying while spending £500k demonising online chat encryption

Eclectic Man Silver badge
Unhappy

How many?

I wonder how many paedophiles have actually been caught and found to have been using end to end encrypted communications? The former Rock Star, Gary Glitter, was caught because he had unencrypted indecent images on his computer hard drive which he wanted repaired (I believe that his defence was that the shop must have put them there).

Now, I admit that I am all for not waiting until there is a n actual disaster before taking preventative action (climate change, vaccinations against nasty diseases like measles etc.), but some actual numbers of would be nice. All this on a day when there was a revelation about the former Archbishop Josef Ratzinger (now retired Pope Benedict XVI) having apparently known about catholic priests in his diocese who were not prosecuted for child abuse:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60070132

"Former Pope Benedict XVI failed to act over four child abuse cases when he was archbishop of Munich, a German probe into the Catholic Church has alleged.

Pope Benedict, then called Josef Ratzinger, held the position from 1977 to 1982. He has denied the accusations.

But a new report into historical abuse allegations carried out by a German law firm incriminated the former pontiff.

Abuse continued under his tenure, it is alleged, and the accused priests remained active in church roles."

He denies that he knew anything, of course, but frankly, even if he didn't, he should have known.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon