Reply to post:

Tesla driver charged with vehicular manslaughter after deadly Autopilot crash

Helcat

I've a Skoda Kamiq: First one with Lane assist and my first experience with it 'assisting' did feel like it was trying to 'yank' the wheel out of my hands. I've gotten used to it now, so the 'yank' seems more like firm pressure that's not too bad to resist.

I had the same with the brake assist: First time it engaged was a shock - especially as there was no reason for it to do so. If anything, brake assist has proven more trouble than beneficial: I either already know and am adjusting for the 'hazard' or the darn system is reacting to shadows (nothing there!). Not once has it engaged when there was actual need for it to, and not once has it saved lives. It has, however, nearly >caused< an accident (unexpected breaking can do that - especially if the vehicle behind is a motorbike). The audible alert can also be a problem, but less so than the darn car deciding to break unexpetedly.

And now the gov wants all cars to have speed limiters... mine has speed alert : It shows the speed limit on the dashboard and speedometer and would be good if it were in anyway accurate. Unfortunately it rarely is accurate and has displayed speed limits of 20, 45 and even 90mph, insists country roads are 30's (posted 50 when not national speed limit), that a 30 was actually a 40 (speed signs showing 30) and in general is a right mess. Even google maps is more accurate!

The biggest risk, however, is as seen with this story: People getting used to the idea that the car will simply sort everything out so there's no need to pay attention. We shouldn't rely on tech to keep us safe: We should use it to >assist< keeping us safe because the tech has no idea as to what's actually going on. Plus not knowing what the actual speed limit is...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon