Reply to post:

Microsoft seems intent on buying the gaming industry with $68.7bn purchase of troubled Activision Blizzard

Binraider Silver badge

Sony did it's fair share of buying out games developers, and often shutting them down.

I cannot forgive them for what they did to Psygnosis; probably one of the very best groups in terms of pumping out original content on the Amiga, PC, and very important to early Playstation.

Consider why PS1 and 2 had so many titles available on them. Not so with 3 and onwards. Support for small devs has dried up because "Sony" preferred it's blockbusters; making dev kit and SDKs inaccessible. With the major risk that if a few go wrong, they were in serious trouble.

This is also why smaller dev outfits get most of my game purchases now. The PS4 is the worst value console I've ever owned in terms of hours used and titles purchased for it.

As a linux nerd, Bethesda being gobbled by MS is an end of an era for me. Doom Eternal, for all of it's shiny & fun arena combat, was marred by awful interspersed platform game sections.

MS buying activision is a match made in heaven; two immoral outfits focussed entirely on profit any any expense. Occassionally both outfits have produced quality material, but in the main, are limp lettuce merchants.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon