Reply to post: Re: A fix for this @codejunky

Epoch-alypse now: BBC iPlayer flaunts 2038 cutoff date, gives infrastructure game away

Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: A fix for this @codejunky

It's funny how so much of the other channel providers on broadcast TV carry material originally produced for or by the BBC...

But the statement yesterday from Nadine Dorries was just a smack in the face for the BBC. I mean, saying that holding the license fee down to was to benefit the poor and the especially the elderly, when this government or one of it's immediate predecessors was responsible for dropping the over 70's free TV license, forcing the BBC to pick it up, and then abolishing it completely.

I wonder how many of the people she's talking about actually do already pay a lot more than the license fee for other subscription TV services (OK, I know there are many people who do really struggle day-to-day, and they deserve a lot more than just keeping the license fee down, but that's not all of them).

And then suggesting that there may be a Government fund to pay for certain important content and radio! This just flies in the face of the editorial independence of the BBC, and risks just making it a government mouthpiece.

The existing license, though enforced by the law, is actually not government money, and has given the BBC the ability to claim to not be funded by the government. It's not perfect by any means especially in this day and age, but nobody has yet come up with a real viable alternative.

Many UK governments have disliked the BBC for being independent and either too left wing, or too right wing, depending on their political bent, but this one appears to be the one actually trying to break it!

Another step in the demise of UK democracy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon