Reply to post: Re: Hmm

Meta Platforms demands staffers provide proof of COVID-19 booster vaccine before returning to office

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm

"Either way, splitting society with an all out social war of vaccinated vs unvaccinated isn't helpful."

God, yes, this. Never mind the rare short-term side effects of the available vaccines and the unknowable long-term side effects. In fact, for sake of argument let's stipulate that none of those exist at all and we know it with absolute certainty based on data from wholly independent researchers everyone trusts. Surely the damage to the social fabric caused by vaccine (and mask, and ...) mandates and the politicisation of medicine has far outweighed any benefits they might have had(*) in reducing infections. This history needs to be mandatory for anyone studying public health in future; it's a crucial lesson in counterintuitive human behaviour like many others in both public health and economics. Humans don't behave the way models assume and unintended consequences -- which I'm charitably suggesting these might be -- can be devastating.

(*) Not conceding that there are any. The evidence seems to suggest everyone will be infected regardless, a position that even the mainstream media and medical bureaucrats are now starting to take. But like my hypothetical stipulation, it isn't necessary to believe this to agree with my overall conclusion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon