Reply to post: Targetting customers in jurisdiction where GDPR is in force

Offering Patreon subs in sterling or euros means you can be sued under GDPR, says Court of Appeal

Norman Nescio Silver badge

Targetting customers in jurisdiction where GDPR is in force

Hmm.

I get the argument, and I can definitely see that offering a payment option in a currency used solely* in a GDPR-covered country can be construed as deliberately inviting custom from people in that country: therefore GDPR applies.

It will be interesting if someone looks at delivery services. If you offer a delivery option of physical goods to a GDPR-covered country, I suspect it could well be construed in a similar manner. That really would set the cat amongst the pigeons, with the ultimate effect being that if suppliers do not wish to be bound by the GDPR, they simply cease to deliver to GDPR-covered countries. Whole swathes of on-line offerings could well become unavailable to consumers, unless some other organisation steps in as an intermediary (for a fee, of course). Interesting.

NN

*There might be a loophole. The Holy See/Vatican City uses the Euro as its currency, as does Andorra, Kosovo, Monaco, Montenegro, San Marino, and Akrotiri & Dhekelia so you could argue that you are targetting those territories and most definitely not the EU - it would depend if any or all of them have incorporated the GDPR into local legislation. Is it part of Roman Catholic canon law?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon