Reply to post: Re: Can we try and get HMG to join the crowdfunding lark

Predictive Dirty Dozen: What will and won't happen in 2022 (unless it doesn’t/does)

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Can we try and get HMG to join the crowdfunding lark

Free-market free-for-all or socially-beneficial planning?

England had similar - but temporary - problems when Boris suddenly announced everyone should get a booster as soon as they were able. Booking systems crashed, there were day-long queues at drop-in centres, and some of those ran out of the magic juice. England's population is over 50 million.

Wales was oddly the only of the home countries to avoid this. Wales has mostly shunned self-made appointments, and only opened a couple of drop-in centres. Lists were compiled centrally and people sent appointment letters with places, times and dates and on the whole queues seem to have been short - I've chaperoned my parents to five of their six appointments at three different venues, as well as myself and my children, and the only time I had to queue for more than 30 minutes was when I took the two youngest. Wales, of course, has a much smaller population of around 3.5 million (including children).

For the first time ever, I was offered a 'flu jab this year, Precisely six minutes from pushing the surgery door open to starting the car's engine on the way home, and my booster was almost as quick if you discount the 15 minute wait to see if I'd keel over afterwards.

Despite what many would have you believe, there is sometimes benefit to doing things centrally, considering the good for the whole population ahead of the good for the individual.

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon