Reply to post: Windows NT 4 SP2

Ooh, an update. Let's install it. What could possibly go wro-

Stuart Castle Silver badge

Windows NT 4 SP2

This shows how old I am..

As a newbie support bod, I was enthusiastic. I had a degree and could do anything. Or so I thought.

Being the keen geek I was (and still am), I installed NT4 SP2 the second I could on my own work machine. I've always had two machines at work. One for serious day to day work, and a test machine I could afford to break if something went wrong. I installed SP2 on both, and used it quite heavily. After several days, I'd had no trouble, so when my boss asked if I thought it was reliable, without hesitating, I said yes.

What a naive fool I was.

We rolled out SP2 (which was actually quite an important upgrade IIRC) en masse. Within a day, we had users reporting their machines were blue screening. I did a quick survey of all the users (thankfully, we only had a couple of hundred PCs), and found just over half were blue screening.

We did resolve the problem, but IIRC, the resolution invloved me going round re-installing a *lot* of machines.

Now, I am still involved in testing, but everything is testing on multiple machines, virtual and real, and tested by multiple users before rolling it out to the estate. It's only rolled out when ALL testers are happy to sign off that it is good.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon