Reply to post: One of the least bad ones

The nub of the issue: Has your ThinkPad's TrackPoint gone TITSUP*? You aren't alone

-v(o.o)v-

One of the least bad ones

As laptops get more thin and integrated something has to give.

Having used about 7 different T4x0 and T14 models as the daily drivers since T410 I for one welcome the reduction in physical dimensions.

I, and probably most other users/IT depts do not care if one RAM module is soldered.

The TrackPoint is a must. I agree the build quality has reduced *somewhat* over the years and it is disappointing. But in its class the range I've used (and procured for others) is right there in the top for value for money IMO.

The change from a real keyboard to a chiclet one, a size thing, is my biggest gripe.

The split of the battery, a size thing?, to removable+internal is a dubious one, will see if I ever get to use a unit long enough to need a battery change. I suspect changing the internal may be a pain.

I loved the cylindrical batteries that are/were no longer available, so that's another minus.

The case seems to be somewhat worse. But I have experience only with the PPS/GF lid models, no metal lids which may be better.

It was an excellent decision to make FHD the base line screen, anything less is unusable. But they should've gone further and make the low-power version the base line.

And a few issues specific to models I've used:

- the plastic coating on touchpad flaking off, even though I never used it - T480, after about 1 year

- the key "T" popping out partially when hit off-center - same T480, after about 1.5 year

The drivers are mostly fine also with the exception of this TrackPoint issue that I've experienced on two brand new T14.

All in all I think the company has the least issues with these laptops. Mostly they just work and don't break the bank. Lenovo System Update is lightweight and avoids all junkware. It is still a workhorse, one of the least bad ones.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon