Reply to post: Re: Safely reopen?

The Omicron dilemma: Google goes first on delaying office work

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Safely reopen?

If I get in my car and drive, fuck up, and end up in an accident that is my fault, I've affected the people with whom I had the accident. I do not affect anyone I happen to drive past on the way to the accident. If I survive, I would know what I had done and would (probably) feel remorse about the whole thing. I might even drive more carefully in the future to ensure I didn't make the same mistake again.

If I have an asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic viral infection and go shopping, for example, I potentially affect everyone I come in close contact with, and anyone who brushes past or touches a surface I touched or breathed on. I might not even realise I was sick, but my actions could ultimately kill people. Sure, you can be an asshole about the whole thing and dismiss those deaths as inevitable but then why should I give a shit about anything I do that might result in people dying. They're all going to die one day anyway, right?

If governments actually wanted to stop this virus they could. Close all borders, require mandatory quarantine and testing for anyone wishing to enter the country, implement mandatory countrywide testing and isolate infected individuals or affected regions, provide real financial aid for those who need it. We'd be done in a few months tops. Just like Wuhan was.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon