Reply to post: A more easily understandabe file tree? Yes, please!

NixOS and the changing face of Linux operating systems

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

A more easily understandabe file tree? Yes, please!

Much as I love Linux for a great many reasons, the one thing that has long been an annoyance to me, as a user, is its shambolic file directory tree.

Before of you very techhy old-timers blow a gasket at that - yes, history, things just grew, different people made different decisions about where stuff should live and it all somehow ended up with what we have today. I understand this (at least in general) and that hindsight is a wonderful thing. As is having a free operating system which I'm not even remotely capable of contributing code to.

However - I have, on occasion, had the experience of installing a piece of software called, say,"Fred" onlyto find that Fred doesnt subsequently appear in the menu system. OK, so I try typing fred into the command line. No joy. So I try Fred - still no joy. So I try searching for files with filenames including the string "fred" - and if I don't succeed then, I simply give up and ask the package manager to uninstall Fred.

I don't much mind if the core of the OS is in its own directory or even one or more hidden directories, but stuff that I can install via the package manager - it would be sooo nice to just be able to look in the Programs folder, find the relevant folder for whichever program is giving bother, and KNOWINg that whatever is amiss it's in THERE, not in some unknowable place due to the arcane whims of a software dev who may or may not have used whatever are considered best practices for where to put stuff.

That aspect of Gobo linux looks great to me. Not keen on the compile it yerself aspect though. But I hope their idea re the filesystem prompts other distros to also do something to make the directory system easier for mere mortals to comprehend!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon